9.05.2008

Playing Chicken with a Hurricane

Are we nuts?!? I mean, who in their right mind drives towards a tropical storm?! This weekend we are trying to get to Jacksonville, FL to celebrate my father-in-law's big 50th birthday - we have been looking foward to going and seeing everyone for weeks!! The latest twist on our plans, however, is the fact that we are now in a race with a tropical storm. If 'she' makes it there first, we are toast on our drive. It would make a 8 hours drive to Jacksonville into a ... well who knows how much time it would add, that is if we can even continue safely!! BUT, if we make it there first, we can 'scoot' past before she makes landfall. Let's see, we are leaving GSO at 5:30 pm and it takes approx. 4-4 1/2 hours for us to reach where 'Hanna' is headed (as of 8 am EST this morning according to http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/). She is expected to hit at 2 am and we will be passing at 9:30-10:00 pm...Is 4 hours enough time to 'beat' her by?? Hmm...I think I'll let my husband make this call. I love that he gets to be in charge of the major decisions that have a lot of pressure to them - I'd rather be along for the ride. I trust him implicitly, and quite frankly, prefer not to have such pressure on my decisions. My prediction? We'll be sitting on the highway at about 9:30 pm tonight wondering why on earth anyone would try to drive through a tropical storm.

Pray this isn't us tonight!!...

Latest update...at 11 am..."Isolated tornadoes are possible tonight over the coastal areas of South and North Carolina". Considering we hug the coast on good ole I-95 most of the way, I'm thinking that doesn't sound so good....

Another update: Hmm....

WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 6 AM EDT SATURDAY...
WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO BEGIN INCREASING OVER THE AREA THIS AFTERNOON AND OVERNIGHT TONIGHT AS TROPICAL SYSTEM HANNA NEARS THE COAST OF SOUTH CAROLINA. WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 30 TO 40 MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS BEING POSSIBLE.
A WIND ADVISORY MEANS THAT WINDS OF 35 MPH ARE EXPECTED. WINDS THIS STRONG CAN MAKE DRIVING DIFFICULT... USE EXTRA CAUTION.

0 comments: