9.29.2008

Not what I expected...

So this weekend wasn't quite the bliss I was hoping for. Sure, I didn't have to work, I was home without a lot of responsibilities, plans, commitments to go to, but honestly? It was pretty lonely. The game did not get cancelled Saturday (despite all my secret wishes) so Eric left at about 9 am and didn't get home until 6:30 pm. Thankfully they won (yaay!) AND the best part for Eric was that the bus didn't have room for him so he hitched a ride with the varsity coach driving his own truck down - how awesome is that?! He was so happy, plus the varsity coach is a good buddy of his, a fellow teacher at GDS. So Saturday night, he was toast from such a long day...then last night, you won't guess how the fun continued... He is a chaperone for all the student council events at school and last night they had a lock-in! So poor Eric headed back up to school at 5 pm Sun night and hasn't been home, nor will he get home until this afternoon! I am venturing a wild guess that he will be sleepy, groggy, and completely exhausted tonight. That is, if he isn't in bed already when I get home from work! My kitchen did get a good cleaning, but then all my cooking/baking dirtied it up again, so I cleaned again, then used it again, ugh, the cycle is endless, amen? I did straighten the house up to a point that when Eric got home Sat. night, he let out a big sigh of relief upon entry and said, 'you have no idea how relaxing it is to come home to such a clean house' - yaay, victory! I love that. I also collected and folded all the runaway laundry from my spare room, but...it is still neatly tucked in two laundry baskets waiting to be put away...

I'd say the highlight of my weekend was that first bite into warm, cinnamony, soft, sweet goodness that filled my house with warmth Sunday morning. I took a few pictures and will post them, along with the recipe as soon as I figure out how to get the pictures off Eric's high-tech phone onto the computer.

Also? I am falling in love with our foster kitten, therefore adoption bells have begun to ring. I fear any more attachment and she will bear the last name 'Shilling' before long. I caught a special moment between her and my Marzell (who, when others are watching, pretends to hate her, but she is working her way into his heart too!). I will post that later too.

One more complaint? This morning I wanted to be sweet to the cat farm and got out some wet food (which they hardly ever get and is a major treat when they do!) I also got out the little dishes I spoon it onto for them. They are perfect little individual sizes for them - nevermind that they are my hand-painted-Italian-William-Sonoma-olive oil dipping bowls that match accompaning bread plates. Ok, I realize at this point, you are thinking, 'why, again, do you let you cats eat off them??' but they are the perfect little size and easy to wash! Anyway. I got those out also, and set them on the counter. I then went over to get my coffee going so it could brew while I dished out the wet food....+C-R-A-S-H+!!!!! Marzell had batted one of the mini-bowls off the counter and being made of porcelain, it smashed on the floor below. *GASP!* "NOOOOooooo!!! Marzell!!!!!" I immediately scooped him up, and threw him into the dark guest bathroom for a 'time out'. Did I just say I put my cat in time-out?! Yes! Because how do cats respond to being smacked or scolded? They get madder and mean! So the only way I could "punish" him was to isolate him and take away the treat he was about to receive. UGH, anyway, I let him out again before I left, but I just hate that 1) one of my beautiful dipping bowls is broken!! (yes, I realize its my fault for using them, thank you very much!) 2) Started the day off frazzled, mad at myself and the darn cat 3) still crabby after having to sleep alone last night!

I need more coffee this am! I'm thinking the rule, 'If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all' is about to apply to me ASAP! Have I already missed my cue??

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Oh Bets. I hate starting off a day (especially a Monday) like that... No cat of mine has ever done that, but I've been the one responsible for a terrible crash (2 in fact). I don't know what calms a person down after that kind of thing, but if I had any advice I'd give it to you. And I'd give a dose to myself.

Betsy, Eric, and Sophia said...

Ugh, thanks. I am still recovering from the rough start to the week! Is it Friday yet?? ;)