1.30.2012

Cream of Anything Soup

I found this mini-recipe (substitution) today while doing my meal planning...I'm so excited about it that I have to share this treasure! I have plenty of recipes that call for "cream of mushroom" soup and/or "cream of chicken" soup. Well as much as I love those recipes and the lovely thickened, saltiness those soups bring, have you ever stopped to read the ingredients in those soups?? Very frightening!! Unfortunately you can't just omit them because then the recipe is majorly lacking something. But fear not, there is a solution! Happy Day! I plan to try this soon!

Condensed “Cream of Anything” Soup

1 cup cold milk
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 1/2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp chicken bouillon
1/2 tsp salt
dash of pepper

Instructions
In a small saucepan, whisk milk and cornstarch till well blended.
Stir in butter, bouillon, salt, and pepper.
Heat to a boil, stirring frequently. Simmer on low for one minute more to thicken.
Use in recipes to replace one can of cream of anything soup.

CONDENSED CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP:
Stir in a drained 4 ounce can of mushroom pieces to the recipe above.

CONDENSED CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP:
Stir in 1/2 cup cooked chicken pieces to the recipe above.

2 comments:

Ryan and Amy said...

This is cool Betsy! Thanks! This could possibly help me a lot because Isaac can't eat the cream of ____ soup from the cans at the store because they contain dairy (obviously). So I'm going to experiment with this recipe using his dairy free butter and rice milk or some other kind of dairy free milk. If it works and tastes ok it might really expand our recipe repertoire! More casseroles in the future! woohoo! question...so would you add celery to cream of celery soup I suppose?

Betsy, Eric, and Sophia said...

Amy - so glad it is helpful! Yes - where I found it says to just add sauteed celery to make cream of celery soup. :) I really hope it turns out well!